Today’s Freeze Protection Service Is Available In:
- North & South Dakota
About Our Freeze Protection Service
Sutton Transport offers protective shipping services for freezables. We do not ship produce, so this applies to liquids — such as paint and chemicals — that are harmed by freezing. Because this service requires a lot of coordination, we provide it at the carrier’s discretion on single-line shipments only, subject to the following conditions:
- Suitable equipment is available.
- Our office is notified that a freezable shipment is being picked up when the pickup is scheduled.
- The bill of lading and the shipment are clearly marked with “Protect from Freezing” or similar wording.
- Freezable shipments must be tendered on a pallet.
- If the outside temperature is forecasted to be 10 degrees Fahrenheit or higher, shipments will be accepted on the following days:
- Next-day transit lanes: Monday – Thursday.
- Second-day transit lanes: Monday – Wednesday.
- Third-day transit lanes: Monday – Tuesday.
- Freezable shipments are NOT accepted on Fridays or the day before a holiday.
- Shipments requiring appointment delivery will not be accepted.
- Shipments requiring “will call” or “dock pickup” will not be accepted.
- If temperatures are below 10 degrees Fahrenheit, the shipper is responsible for any freezing risk from point to point.
- The carrier may refuse to accept any shipment when weather forecasts or prevailing road conditions indicate highway closures.
- The freezing protection service charge is $20 per shipment, in addition to the other applicable rates and charges.
Please note that Sutton Transport reserves the right to delay delivery of certain freezable shipments. If there is a choice between delivering the shipment on time and exposing it to freezing, or protecting the shipment with a delayed delivery, Sutton chooses to protect and delay.